Google Summer of Code 2013 Ideas
OPeNDAP would like to welcome all the Summer of Code (SoC) students for the 2013 iteration of the SoC program! On this page you'll find information about project ideas we have along with information to help you apply to work on our software. The projects range from web site implementation to complex problems in data systems. Several of the projects listed are focused on adding new features to our data server. However, we also have a set of client tools and GUI-based applications that would provide an ample basis for summer projects. If you don't see anything below in the #Ideas section don't let that stop you from starting a conversation with one of the mentors listed below (#Mentors) because you may have an idea, talent or skill that is the spark of a great project. Don't hesitate to email us!
We would like to stress that while the ideas included here can be the basis of your project, you can also propose something completely different - maybe you've used our software and wish it included a particular feature.
Before submitting an application to GSoC with OPeNDAP as your mentoring organization, make sure you read our GSoC FAQ as well as the Google FAQ, both of which provide some pointers on how to write a successful application.
- Extending support for Matlab: C; Matlab a plus
- KML responses for Hyrax: C++
- Packaging and Installation: Linux, RPM, yum, aptitude, scripting
- Python and PHP clients to BES: Python and PHP
- Patrick West (westp at rpi.edu): The Hyrax data server, C, C++, Java, Apache Modules, Semantic Web, OWL (Web Ontology Language), RDBMS, Java
3 Proposal template
Each proposal should be a text document that should contain the following sections:
- A one-paragraph description of the proposal
- Project Description
- A complete description of what you will do including a logical breakdown of the project into smaller parts and how the project will be completed on time
- Profit for OPeNDAP Users
- How will users of OPeNDAP's open source software benefit from this project?
- Success Criteria
- What's the target you are trying to reach with this project so that success can easily be measured
- Describe the different development phases you expect to go through. For example:
- Add a description of my project to the OPeNDAP developer's wiki
- Solicit community feedback
- Develop base-level features
- Testing and alpha release
- Develop additional features
- Tell us about yourself, why you want to do this and how to contact you
Note: Proposals without contact information will not be accepted.