DAP4: Capabilities and Versioning
--EthanDavis 13:32, 16 April 2012 (PDT)
- 1 Background
- 2 Problem addressed
- 3 Proposed solution
- 4 Rationale for the solution
- 5 Discussion
- 6 Other Resource Types
- 7 Example Capabilities Document
Providing OPeNDAP clients with information on the particular capabilities of a given server and given dataset has been discussed many times. Types of capabilities include supported DAP versions, supported server-side functions. Another possible capability would be support for multiple encodings of the various OPeNDAP services. Providing capabilities documents can also make it easier to plan for extensibility and the future evolution of OPeNDAP.
2 Problem addressed
The proposal attempts to address the following requirements:
- Support for multiple versions of DAP protocol in a backwards compatible way
- Support for extensibility and evolution of protocol
- Support for multiple encoding formats (media types) for each resource type
- Support description of server and dataset capabilities (e.g., server-side processing capabilities)
? To allow servers full control of their URL space, DAP4 URLs will be identified by their resource link type rather than their "file extension".
3 Proposed solution
Provide server and dataset capabilities documents. A dataset's capabilities document includes links to the various OPeNDAP services for that dataset. Each link is described with a link relationship type and a media type.
Providing a dataset capabilities document with links to both DAP2 and DAP4 resources allows for DAP2 backward compatibility and will support protocol extensibility and future evolution of the protocol.
3.1 Raw DAP Dataset URLs Return Capabilities Documents
A GET request on a DAP dataset URL returns the capabilities document for the dataset. To take advantage of web caching, capabilities Document should try to be light weight (i.e., quick creation) and as stable as possible.
3.1.1 Link Relationship Type
The URL of a link with this relation type can be used to GET the dataset capabilities document for the dataset.
3.1.2 Possible Media Types
A capabilities resource must contain a server section and a dataset section.
The server section should include
- a link to the full server capabilities document (if applicable)
- a list of the DAP versions the server supports
- the implementation version (e.g., "TDS 4.3.57" or "Hyrax 1.7.45")
- a list of extensions the server supports
The dataset section should include
- a link to the full dataset capabilities document (this document)
- links for all resource types for each supported version
- a list of extensions the dataset supports
- a list of the types of constraint expressions supported for this dataset
- a list of the types of processing instructions supported for this dataset
Should there be a separate server capabilities document?
3.2 Other Resource Types
4 Rationale for the solution